Feed Icon  

Contact

  • Bryant Likes
  • Send mail to the author(s) E-mail
  • twitter
  • View Bryant Likes's profile on LinkedIn
  • del.icio.us
Get Microsoft Silverlight
by clicking "Install Microsoft Silverlight" you accept the
Silverlight license agreement

Hosting By

Hot Topics

Tags

Open Source Projects

Archives

Ads

Configure This

Posted in General at Monday, March 08, 2004 8:11 AM Pacific Standard Time

After reading Christoph's post about a simple way to configure a domain account to access the database, I thought that I would give it a try. Of course if there is a way to break it, I will find it, but of course it will be unintentional. So first I go download the aspnet_setreg tool and stick it on my server. Next I follow all the steps listed in the article. Finally I try to hit my database from the application I'm working on. So what do I get?

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Error reading the password from the registry.

So I go through all the steps again, change a few things, no dice. At first I thought that maybe I had to apply the hotfix to make this work, but then I read here that this fix was included in the 1.1 version of the framework. Finally I had an idea of something I should check. So I changed renamed the key in the registry from “MyApp.Web“ to simply “MyApp“. Bingo. Everything now works. Humph.

So if you decide to store your credentials in the registry like this, make sure you don't have a dot in your application name. Maybe this is the darkside to the power of the dot.

Friday, August 20, 2004 3:01:00 AM (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Bryant,
<br>
<br> My entry in the registry is WSSEL ... which does not contain a '.' in it. I still have the same problems of not being able to read the password. I gave all osrt of permissions to ASP.NET worker process and I still get the same error.
<br>
<br>... any ideas?
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>
<br>-Enrique
Enrique
Friday, August 27, 2004 5:23:00 AM (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Hi,
<br>verify in the application pool if the Network Service account is configured (default). Then give read permission in the registry to Network Service account. My problem finished when I did that.
<br>
<br>Vinícius
Tuesday, October 26, 2004 6:15:00 AM (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)

<br>I have this problem curently going on. Windows 2003, IIS 6.0, encrpyted impersonate w/aspnet_reg utility and keep getting the "Error reading the password from the registry".
<br>
<br>Any word on this bug.
Bolivar
Tuesday, March 07, 2006 2:16:46 AM (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
I had s similar problem, and I fixed it by converting the Regpath after \SOFTWARE\ to lower case.
Alfredo Blanco
Wednesday, June 21, 2006 3:11:20 AM (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I had the same problem since my web application name was porbably too long to write as a registry key. Then I tried to shorten the name in the registry (and obviously in the web.config) and it worked fine.

For instance:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\webApplicationName\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName

is too long, try to shorten it like:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\webApp\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName

obviously you have to modify the strings in web.config and the names of the keys in the registry.

I hope it will help.

Always have good times,
sandrino
Sandrino
Thursday, June 22, 2006 11:08:37 AM (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
well in my case I'm using Windows 2003, and apparantly when using Windows 2003 u have give the Network Services account read permission and not the ASPNET account
Amir
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 11:32:23 PM (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
I had the same issue. I tested this issue by renaming the registry key. It's weird because when I initially created the key in uppercase the application kept giving me this error so I renamed the key to something else in lowercase and it worked then I renamed the key back to the original in uppercase (made my web.config file changes and reset iis 5.1) and it worked. This is way to weird.
Terrance
Friday, May 18, 2007 8:40:54 AM (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Thanks Vinícius,

That was the solution:

"verify in the application pool if the Network Service account is configured (default). Then give read permission in the registry to Network Service account."
jmartinez
Friday, June 08, 2007 2:02:10 PM (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Terrance, if you manually renamed the registry key it worked because when you did that Regedt32 gave way more permisions to the key than you would want. I think you have a permissions issue now. Have a look at the permissions on that key and see if it has been granted to the users group on the local machine.
Cheers
Kev
Comments are closed.