Feed Icon

Tags

Open Source Projects

Archives

Ads

Squeaky Mice

Posted in Gadgets at Monday, 24 April 2006 03:51 Pacific Daylight Time

A few months ago I purchased a Microsoft Notebook Laser Mouse 6000. A few days ago it started squeaking whenever you click the left mouse button. After a quick google search I see I'm not the only one noticing this. The squeak is starting to really irritate me. Any ideas?

Monday, 15 May 2006 16:10:19 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
maybe the mouse is hungry dude?

or maybe it's just plain old Microsoft - not quite fully baked.
NickW
Monday, 28 August 2006 23:23:33 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Did you ever get this resolved? I got the same problem with my LaserMouse 6000.

Kind regards,
Jerry
JerryH
Tuesday, 29 August 2006 05:24:35 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I never did fix it, but it seems to have gone away all on its own. However, now my scroll wheel is starting to stick sometimes.

Just ordered the new Logitech VX laptop mouse, I'll post a review after I get it...
Monday, 29 January 2007 14:24:09 (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
I have already enjoy your website, and it is so nice and cool. I will visit your website again. Thank you.
Tuesday, 13 February 2007 05:04:41 (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
My Microsoft Notebook Mouse Squeaks like crazy... it's really bugging me
Jimmy Z
Saturday, 24 February 2007 04:39:16 (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
I got a Logitech VX revolution a wail back and it started doing the same thing, an $80 laptop mouse should last longer then 3 months without driving me insane, i'm going to see what Logitech will do about it.
Sunday, 08 April 2007 12:11:30 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I have one that is squeaking like crazy too! It's the left button, a VERY minor movement of the button.. simply pushing enough to move the mouse sideways without even 'pressing' the button causes it.

I've tried blowing clean air through it, had a little success with a real light dusting of talcum powder (stopped the squeak for about 4 days). If I'd had some around I might have tried a dry graphite powder, but am not going to deal with trying to apply a liquid lubricant.

The unit works flawlessly otherwise. It's a shame the squeak makes it too much of a distraction.. the cost was enough to make it worth trying for a bit, the process of a return too much of a hassle.. into the MouseTrash it goes. I will have to tell others "Do not buy a Microsoft laser mouse." Logitech, here I come.
Tuesday, 05 June 2007 07:06:16 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I have a brand new Logitech mouse that does the same thing. lame.
Derek
Thursday, 12 July 2007 03:22:33 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I have the Microsoft Laser 6000 mouse also, brand new.. and it started squeaking on the left button on the second day I was using it.. have not been able to fix it... any ideas?? Is Microsoft replacing these? Or course I no longer have the receipt or packaging...
jcl
Saturday, 21 July 2007 08:44:07 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I bought a wireless keyboardand mouse combo ith free speakers from logitech for $56 and that left button is crazy,well i'll find the problem and tell you guys.
rr
Tuesday, 06 November 2007 05:54:59 (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
My laser mouse 6000 mouse squeaks as well. I have yet to find a permanent solution for it.
Tw
Saturday, 12 January 2008 02:25:24 (Pacific Standard Time, UTC-08:00)
My Wireless 6000 mouse started squeaking shortly after purchase. I just tried some wynn's silicone spray. The squeak is gone. Be very careful with this stuff; clean up well after it, and wash your hands.

Here's what I did:

Pry left mouse button up (it should come easily, and leave a small space)

Spray silicone onto paper towel or q-tip

coat the inner edge of the button

Push button back down

**wipe any excess away with papertowel
*** Clean mouse with a wet rag, and dry
sd
Saturday, 19 July 2008 02:02:05 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
After reading this I tried some "dry" bicycle chain lubricant on my mouse. I pried up the left button as in the previous note then sprayed some on a small brush and wiped it on the edge of the mouse. Wiped off the excess and it works great, at least for the moment.
Wednesday, 06 August 2008 22:47:23 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
I have just bought a brand new Logitech keyboard and mouse and the left button squeaks like anything... I'm ready to bring out the Rattex!!!
Dido Pana
Wednesday, 27 May 2009 04:27:07 (Pacific Daylight Time, UTC-07:00)
Trust me, after owning multiple Logitech mice, they DEFINITELY do it too..Just got a brand new one hoping they had fixed that, but no, within 5 minutes of using it, it started squeaking away..
Nate