Tom Rizzo has asked for people to try some things out in Reporting Services.
1) Try customizing Reporting Services via its URL customization. You can easily drop RS into an IFrame, SharePoint, etc. by using an URL.
I've done a lot of this recently. It seems to work pretty well for most things. However, there are a few things that I think could be improved:
- The toolbar. It would be nice if you could specify to get only certain parts of the toolbar and if you could load the toolbar by itself in another frame.
- It seems there is something strange with the report width and height. It seems like you always get an extra wide report even if you set it up to be narrow in the report designer.
2) Try programming the Web Services of Reporting Services.
This is pretty straightforward, however, it doesn't work very well if you're trying to hit the web service from a another server by passing the Credentials. You end up not being able to authenticate since it is a “double-hop”.
3) Exporting to XML.
Haven't tried this yet. What would be a good reason to export this to XML?
4) Subscriptions and rendering formats.
These are also pretty easy to use. The email subscription doesn't seem to be compatible with Lotus Notes which is a real problem for us. Links do work, but they aren't as impressive as getting the full report in the email itself.
Some things I would like Reporting Services to do better:
1) Get some decent charting functionality. The way it currently works you can't even change the color of the chart items (you can only switch between pallettes).
2) Allow me to pass in the RDL to the Render function. There must be some way to do this since the report preview works in Visual Studio, but I haven't figured it out yet.
3) Provide some best practices for accessing the service via ASP.Net apps. I've heard that there are some Reporting Services Web Parts coming soon (which will solve a lot of problems for me), but how about some general guidelines on how to integrate Reporting Services into a web application.
Overall Reporting Services is a great product that we have been very happy with.